FirstVet has been building a digital platform since we started in 2016, mainly aiming to create a world where every pet can thrive, not just survive - no matter the circumstances. In order to facilitate FirstVet’s continuous international growth, we’re reinforcing our tech team with a Backend Engineer.
As a Backend Engineer, you will own our core data model as we evolve and scale our platform. You will be responsible for developing infrastructure, user-facing features, core application logic, databases, data and application integration, API, and other back-end processes. We expect you to bring your communication skills and unique background to help make our a diverse, fun, caring, and productive team. Experience in event-driven architecture is a plus, but a real passion for our mission, fairness and transparency is an imperative.
- Develop new features to meet critical product and business needs;
- Build a scalable platform and new frameworks to solve novel problems, including architecture, microservices, testing, and deployment;
- Innovate a long-term vision for managing and scaling backend systems;
- Work cross-functionally with engineers, product managers, designers, and senior leadership in executing the product roadmap;
- Own and extend our core data model as our product increases in complexity
- Develop smarter and faster matching and assessment frameworks to
improve the speed and accuracy of our platform;
- Write high-quality, well-tested code;
- Enable the team to thoughtfully improve our product;
- Foster a collaborative culture and inclusive work environment.
- 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer;
- Experience with Typescript/PHP and micro-services architecture: designing, creating, deploying, testing, and monitoring;
- Ownership - experience owning a broad scope of responsibilities in a low
structure, high impact, rapidly evolving environment;
- Familiarity with cloud architecture (AWS, AZURE or GCP) and CI/CD and delivering pipelines;
- Preferably familiarity with event-driven architecture;
- Independence - capable of ideating and developing specs on your own amidst ambiguity;
- Good collaboration - we believe software development is a team process. We use a rich, supportive, and collaborative design process - and expect you to contribute thoughtfully and respectfully;
- Polish & passion - immense pride in and passion for your work - we are building high-quality tools for other development teams;
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment;
- High sense of responsibility and motivation to strive and exceed expectations;
- Sincere interest in working at a start-up and scaling with the company as we
Apart from the above-mentioned requirements, it goes without saying that an interest in animals is highly desirable. We’re a pet-oriented organization and it’s not unusual to run into our office dogs or for a cat to join our Zoom calls!